- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 8 cups tomato chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes
- small bunch of fresh basil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Add wine and simmer until liquid has evaporated, making sure garlic doesn't burn. Stir in tomatoes and a pinch of sea salt.
- Add oregano and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low and cover for 15 minutes. Covering will help the tomatoes to "sweat" and break down more quickly. Uncover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for about an hour.
- Use an immersion blender to carefully puree the sauce. Add basil the basil and blend it in with the blender or leave whole. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can let the sauce cool and then very carefully puree in a regular blender.
- Continue to simmer another 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Optional additions: sometimes I like to stir in a small handful of grated Parmesan cheese or a drizzle of balsamic for more flavor. Delicious!